Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Foreing cyclist needs help in English :)
Reno.ro - Forum Renault Romania > Alte discutii > Calatorii si Intalniri > Coltul biciclistului
jelchica
Hello all, especially cyclists smile.gif

Me and some of my friends will be visiting western Romania by bicycle in the coming weeks.
The thing is, we have a GPS track, but we're not too sure what the terrain and overall conditions will look like. Some of us have ridden a part of this route, and the rest is a wild guess based on Google Earth images.

So, I'd much appreciate it if you could give me some insider info (preferably first-hand experience) OR a link to a web address where I could get useful info to prepare for the ride. I've been using Google Translate for searching the web (and for using this website smile.gif ), but you can imagine how frustrating it can be. For now, the information on the area we'll be visiting seems sparse.

This is the planned route: http://tracks4bikers.com/tracks/show/126969
(the "ascent" info on the webpage is inaccurate)
Not too easy, eh?
Any info on the area, weather, roads, terrain, historical and natural must-see beauties along the way would be fantastic.
In return, I could help you with some info on cycling in Serbia.

Thanks and cheers smile.gif
Serpico
Cheile Nerei si imprejurimi, august 2010
jelchica
QUOTE(Serpico @ 14 Mar 2013, 21:48)

I read this now (via GTranslate, was relatively hard to read, probably missed out lotsa info) and got some information that I wanted.
The important bit of info that I understood is that the signs say you need 7 hours to get from Beusnita to Damian and that these cyclist got there in 5,5 hours, which is still a lot and which means that we can't do the route in a day, as we planned. nedumerire.gif

Is there something else I could read? Preferably in English.. Thanks!
corbex
QUOTE(jelchica @ 14 Mar 2013, 20:43)
Hello all, especially cyclists smile.gif
Me and some of my friends will be visiting western Romania by bicycle in the coming weeks.

Be carrefull! In the western Romania we still have indiens.
Serpico
Maybe VladG or Corrado - it was their tour in that link and both are members of this forum - will give you more info.

When you use Google Translate for Romanian text, it is best to translate in English (do not use it to translate from Romanian to Serbian language, because any such translation seems to involve English as an intermediary step, so the results are worse).

Like this.
jelchica
QUOTE(Serpico @ 14 Mar 2013, 23:09)
When you use Google Translate for Romanian text, it is best to translate in English (do not use it to translate from Romanian to Serbian language, because any such translation seems to involve English as an intermediary step, so the results are worse).

Yes, I did read it that way..

P.S. Now I'm re-reading the text and I'm not so sure that I got this one right: "The important bit of info that I understood is that the signs say you need 7 hours to get from Beusnita to Damian and that these cyclist got there in 5,5 hours". ??

Yes, it would be great to hear some from VladG and/or Corrado smile.gif
Serpico
QUOTE(jelchica @ 14 Mar 2013, 22:20)
P.S. Now I'm re-reading the text and I'm not so sure that I got this one right: "The important bit of info that I understood is that the signs say you need 7 hours to get from Beusnita to Damian and that these cyclist got there in 5,5 hours". ??

From Cabana Valea Bei (the place where they slept the second night) to Damian, they made 1 hour.
From Damian to Lacul Dracului (Devil's Lake) they made 5 and 1/2 hours. The sign at Damian said 6 hours to Devil's Lake and VladG thought at the time that it would be great if they would make 7 hours (but it only took them 5 1/2 hours).
dr_psht
This is a car forum, so you might not get the best answers here. Try a dedicated bike forum. This one has an international forum too: http://www.ciclism.ro/forums/index.php/for...national-forum/

There seem to be lots of topics already and I suppose they're more relevant, since most are about foreigners looking to cycle in our country. I think it's better info that translated Romanian experiences.

Cheers
jelchica
QUOTE(corbex @ 14 Mar 2013, 20:59)
indiens

Indiens? 0.o

We were only hoping to see Muma Paduri, that would be enough..
VladG
Hi, jelchica.

I was on that route few years ago. The link you followed is to my blog.
From the beginning I have to say this is not a road/path for cycling (between Damian and shortly after Dracul Lake). You can see this also from the pictures.
It's not an easy way even for trekking... I don't know if anybody else got there by bike.
Also you should take in consideration you'll have to cross the river twice and there is no bridge to use. It is possible only if the water level is not too high. We were forced to delay our trip by two months because of this reason.
If you'll have bags on bikes or big backpacks it will be much difficult or even impossible to go through Nerei Gorges.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

L.E: The spring is not the best time to visit Nera Gorges because generally the water is high and cold.
Maybe you'll be interested also by this (Google Translate): http://nera.exploratorii.ro/contact.php
You'll find 2 phone numbers where you may have the chance to get hot info about the Nera.
b76bgaarh
sony tu ejti?
gibonu
@ jelchica
Maybe it will help.

Kaluderovo – Petrilova – road junction 571C / 571.
First part in on unpaved road.

[attachmentid=1627875312]

Second part in on tarmac.

[attachmentid=1627875313]

The pictures above are made (by myself) in September 2009.

Road junction 571C / 571 – Potoc – Podul Beiului is on tarmac.

[attachmentid=1627875314]

The picture above is made (by myself) in June 2011.

Podul Beiului is where road 571K is ends.

From Podul Beiului towards Beusnita Falls the road is unpaved, but in good shape.
Unfotunatelly, no picture of this part.

I think you already know about Ochiul Beiului lake and Beusnita Falls.
If you don’t, please tell and I’ll post some pictures.

About Nerei Gorges, VladG already told you about.

Sopotul Nou – Stancilova – Carbunari – Stinapari (on road 571B) in unpaved, mostly through the forest, in smooth climb.

Stinapari – Sasca Montana, on tarmac and a very nice descent.

Sasca Montana – Slatina Nera - road junction 571C / 571, on tarmac.

Main suggestion for the area is Oravita – Anina railway.
More about this railway:
http://www.ciclism.ro/forums/index.php/top...-anina-railway/
jelchica
Hey gibonu and VladG,
Thanks so much for the info! This was exactly what I tried to find out, more specifically the section between Cantonul Damian and Lacul Dracului. Also, the maps say that there are roads until Damian and after Dracul, but we weren't sure what the section exactly looked like.
The rest is easy.
I'll try to contact the http://nera.exploratorii.ro/contact.php numbers to hear their opinion and info on Nera's current water level, just to check.
Anyway, as the weather is deteriorating, we'll likely postpone the trip, which will give us more time to find out more about the area.

Thanks again!
I'll ask again should more questions pop up wink.gif

EDIT: I sent two emails, one bounced, I hope that the other is being monitored.
jelchica
So, due to poor weather the ride was postponed.
The guys from nera.exploratorii.ro have not responded yet :/
VladG
It's a wise choice.
The water is very cold and because of the bad weather the road through the forest is probably very muddy.
I think May or June should be a better period.
jelchica
Hi everyone,

We still haven't had the chance to ride the tour from the first post.
However, we will visit Beusnita this March, as in the past couple of years.

I must say I still catch myself thinking about the route from my first post smile.gif The challenge still tickles my imagination smile.gif

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.